Next Best Thing

Next Best Thing
Couldn't have seen it coming
Or kept the time from running away
And I know that I've been hit by something
Since she came round my way

A bolt of thunder, a flash of light
It was a struggle to keep my head upright
Continuing on quite unaware
How much had changed right then and there

Should have been more attentive
To what I was intended to get
But until the whole adventure's ended
There is no need to fret

Advancing high on my trusting side
Until she lied and it started to backslide
Returning me to the place before
I was so sure I wanted more

She can't help but keep truth waiting
Litters the wayside with castoff playthings
So determined to make an impact
Heading straight to a desolate place
Where there's hardship to face
And no turning back

Carrying on unhindered
Unwilling to surrender to fate
With a resolution to remember
Let's hope it's not too late

The wide eyed child, who looked so lost
Preferred to follow, no matter what paths crossed
Remains a treasure in my mind
Brighter than I thought I could find

Misfortune offered a slim disguise
To whose objective I'd rather stay unwise
Whatever favour the tide may bring
I'll be getting by on the next best thing
  
More Songs Scripts Statements
© 2018. Words and music by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

Comments