Beggars Can't Be Losers

Beggars Can't Be Losers
Does anyone recall that last music post yet? Wasn't it on the closing credits for a movie that was entirely made out of my comedy blogs and cartoons? I'm quite sure I recall helplessly viewing it now in perhaps 2008, and the sinking feeling it gave me. I also recall laughing out loud when I read the credits for the background score. Did they say the Barenaked Ladies wrote my music? Anyway, it was some band that had never shared anything like it before.

So that's what this business is like. They steal all my comedy, but that's not enough. They must then steal some music to back it up in their fraud movie. They want everyone to go home with the uplifting spirit of my music telling them that plagiarizing my blogs is the most beautiful thing in the world.

Hard to believe so many people trust the broadcasters who support such foul crimes to wave the flag of freedom for them on TV. What freedom did I have but the freedom to be pushed around by a bunch of rich, corporate tyrants? What freedom do I have now to do anything substantial about it? All I can ever do is come here and complain. I did that for the whole year of 2007, while they systematically disassembled my work into a million bits and pieces across a hundred channels of cable television, in front of the eyes of a public that seemed largely reluctant to make waves.

So where are the Simpsons now? And where is Family Guy? Where is Jon Stewart? Where's Saturday Night Live? Where are the Crystalids and the Shards and Nickleback and Blue Rodeo and all the musicians who stole my music? Where's that Dateline host? What happened to most of the offenders in my Copyright Issues page? Perhaps they were sucked in by the undertow.

2:38pm: Some people might be wondering how such a vast plunder ever got started. They might expect that writing and sharing a hit on the internet would lead to automatic success. This depends on your own priorities. If being a star is the most important thing in the world to you, you'll probably be all right. For one thing, you won't hesitate to beg for the necessary support from the labels and networks. Of course, I'm not like that. I was never in any hurry to be a star and only shared my music and writing mostly as mere examples of my redeeming qualities as a human being - or to make a point about something. But I have talent. Well, in the eyes of the offenders, my talent is going to waste if I don't want to beg the business to make me a star with it. That's really what got the fraud started on a large scale. I had popular work and I didn't want to beg to be a star with it. Therefore, they thought they were justified to steal it all and cash it in for themselves. So that's another freedom worth mentioning here: the freedom to beg. How noble.

Do you think the law protects you? What law? The ones on the books or the ones that are conveniently made up on the spot by wealthy plutocrats? This fraud scheme was well executed. When I went to lawyers for help, they sent me home. When I went to the police for help, they told me not to worry about it. If I had to guess, I'd have to say that, while no cop would take money to arrest an innocent man, taking money to look the other way while an innocent man is criminally assaulted is another matter entirely. And most lawyers already owe much of their livelihood to the corporations who may be responsible. So much for justice in the land of the free.

So I had to be kicked in the head millions of times over the last eleven years for every bit of pleasure I brought others with my music and comedy. And their secret knowledge of this abuse made the broadcasters happier than they had ever been before. And now are you going to listen to them some more? Are you going to let them tell you what to think for another twenty-four hours? If so, let's hope they're doing it with their own words.

I really hate comedy now. I find it extremely depressing. I hate the way some people force themselves to laugh at ugly things, just to feel like their on the winning end of this hideous argument. At the moment, I'm quite sorry that God blessed me with so much talent, and I often wonder if I would have been better off in a more intelligent culture than the one being being forced upon us now by 'amoral' broadcasters.
  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2018. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

Comments